Thursday, April 14, 2011

I'm all, Anti "Big Ring"



O.k., I'm comin' off the first race of the 2011 season and feeling pretty good about things. I had a solid day on the bike, worked through the dark times, climbed well, and most importantly stayed "hooked on". Hell, I even had some gas in the tank for a run at the overall win.

Now, with that being said, those things I mentioned didn't come for free. I have a deep nagging soreness in my right knee and right glute from a crash mid way through the race on tar that brought stars to my eyes. I also have some fatigue in the 'ole dogs that penetrates to the bone. Oh, and I've got 'King Kong' on my back, but he goes by a new name - Trans Iowa.

So, as the days tick by 'King Kong' and I approach each other like spies meeting on a bridge in some Ukrainian country side. Until we meet in the middle I've vowed to stay out of the Big Ring. I tell myself that the "50" is no place for me now. I must resist the urge to shift with my left hand, I must stay in the small ring and spin. Just spin easy I say. It's hard, as I feel like every thing is taking too long and my legs are saying, "Dude, what's your deal?" In fact I was on my way to get the taxes done last night and I threw her up into the "Big Dog" to start cruising mode, when I realized, "Wait, you're all anti "Big Ring", remember?". Sh*t! Back down to the "little guy".

I am resigned to spin like a little kid on an under geared bike for the next 10 days or so. It feels so wrong and right all at the same time.

See you soon, Mr. Kong.

4 comments:

Phil B said...

I've often wondered what the point of the small rings are: Give me big or give me death!

Viv La 44

Ari said...

I think the 50 is a bit hard to turn effectively. I think a 46 or 48 would be a lot more useful specially if you have an 11 on your cassette.
Ari

Unknown said...

Thanks Ari, but I aint gonna fix what aint broke. That 50 has proven quite useful and rolled me to some gravel finishes that I'm pretty proud of.

Charlie Farrow said...

Methinks a 22 in the front will be appropriate if the weather forecast holds...Remember to clean and pack your DBD-issue revolver; I fear you may need it!!! Bring two cartridges in the event that me hands become "claw-like."
Woe-is-me,

C